Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Settling In

Well, we are moved into our townhouse now. Of course, we don't have any of our things yet, except for what we carried over in our suitcases or in the box that we mailed, so it's not really exciting yet. We do have some loaner furniture from the base. It's a cross between waiting room furniture, and what you might think the Flinstones may have had. Our bed is crazy small. They say it's a full size, but I don't believe it. Poor Travis' feet hang off of the end. So do mine! We did buy a small tv the other day, so at least we can watch tv and movies in the waiting room, I mean living room. I'll take some pictures and add them sometime soon. You will all laugh. The townhouse is growing on me though. There is plenty of space and I think it will be nice once we get all of our furniture in.

Would you believe that I'm actually publishing this post via DIAL-UP? It's not too bad. I thought it would be a lot slower. We are also supposed to have wireless, but I can't seem to find the right signal yet. Oh well.

Today was a lot of fun. I went to a Japanese grocery store with the Cultural Coordinator from base along with a couple of other ladies. She explained what things were, how to cook certain things, and other useful information. I'm totally going to start making Japanese food! I'm super excited. Travis will make his sushi cause I'm not about to touch raw fish, nor cooked fish, nor dried fish for that matter. I will be making yakiniku, katsu, gyoza, and maybe someday will attempt tempura. We shall see.

After the grocery store class, Yoko-san looked up my Japanese student's mother for me. She gave her a call and told her that I was back. Mitsue was so excited, she said that she was speaking with tears in her eyes! She's so sweet. I am so excited to meet up with her and her son, Akinori. I taught Akinori English for four years. He probably doesn't even remember it. I'm going to their house on Monday for lunch. I can't wait! I need to learn some phrases in Japanese! And also work on my gesturing skills. I will rock at charades when I get back.

Tomorrow I am going off base with some volunteers to teach Japanese kindergarten students some English words. I'm super excited for that too. Maybe I can take one home with me! I love Japanese kids. The babies are super cute. They all have big cheeks!

So you all need to come and visit us. I'm making the guest bedroom super comfy and Japanese. Don't worry though, I won't make you sleep on a futon mat on the floor. We do have a bed for you. We will also have the super luxury van to drive you around in. And I can drive you around because I finally got my license! I passed on the first try! I can also cook awesome Japanese food for you. So please come out and see us. I'm so excited to take my family and friends around to all of my favorite places.

No comments: