Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Life in the Kuni

Well, we've been here for about 10 days now. I still don't have my driver's license. That stinks. I went to take the test today, but it was closed. It's closed all week. So I guess I'll have to wait until Monday to drive. That's okay, I don't really have anything to drive yet. Trav has his car here. We are looking for a mini-van to buy. We looked at one today, it was pretty nice for base cars. It even had GPS. The only prob was it was all in Japanese! The dealer we went to is just off base. He said that he will have more mini-vans on Saturday, so I guess we'll check back then.
Oh yeah, and I taught his daughter kindergarten my first year teaching. I got to see her today! She looks so grown up. I can't believe how big my little babies are!
So life on base is sort of boring right now. Yesterday I got to meet a lot of the wives in the squadron. They were all really nice. Today I went around and signed up for some classes and trips. I'm going to take survival Japanese class (I probably know most of it, but it's something to do) and a grocery store class. The lady, Yoko-san, takes a group to the local grocery store and you go up and down the aisles and she will explain what everything is. That is going to be a good one. I forgot how much the commissary sucks. They had expired sour cream on the shelf today. It expired on the 5th of June! Yuck! I may have to learn to like sushi!
I also signed up to do some trips. I'm going to go on a couple this month - a lantern festival and a drum festival. And then one next month - the goldfish festival. I hadn't done any of these before so I'm looking forward to it!

No comments: